A public liability claim refers to a legal avenue that allows individuals to seek compensation for injuries or damages they have suffered as a result of the negligence of someone else. This type of claim typically arises when a person sustains an injury or suffers loss or damage while on the property or premises of another party, such as a business or a homeowner.
In Queensland, public liability claims are governed by the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002. According to this law, if you have been injured due to the negligence of another party and can prove that they failed to take reasonable care to ensure your safety, you may be eligible to make a public liability claim for compensation.
It is important to note that public liability claims can cover a wide range of accidents and incidents. Some common types of accidents that may give rise to a public liability claim include slip and fall accidents, accidents caused by faulty or poorly maintained equipment or structures, dog attacks, injuries sustained in public places such as parks or shopping centers, and injuries caused by the negligent actions of employees or contractors.
To initiate a public liability claim in Queensland, it is essential to consult with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in this area of law. They will guide you through the process and help you gather the necessary evidence to support your claim. This evidence may include photographs of the accident scene, witness statements, medical reports, and any other relevant documents that demonstrate the extent of your injuries and the impact they have had on your life.
Once your claim is filed, the legal process will involve negotiations with the opposite party’s insurance company to reach a fair settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer may advise you to take your claim to court, where a judge will determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
Public liability claims in Queensland are subject to certain time limits. Generally, you have three years from the date of the accident or from the date you became aware of your injury to lodge a claim. However, there are exceptions to these time limits, so it is crucial to seek legal advice as soon as possible to ensure you do not miss your opportunity to seek compensation.
In Queensland, many personal injury lawyers offer “no win, no fee” services for public liability claims. This means that if you do not win your claim, you will not be required to pay legal fees. This arrangement provides access to justice for individuals who may not have the financial means to pay for legal representation upfront.
Overall, a public liability claim is a legal recourse that allows individuals who have been injured or suffered losses due to someone else’s negligence to seek compensation. If you believe you have a valid public liability claim, it is crucial to consult with a personal injury lawyer to understand your rights and navigate the claim process effectively.
Fill in the form below to find out if you have a claim.
The Compensation Claim Process
- Get a Free Claim Check
We make it easy to get compensation. Simply complete a few details and you will know if you can claim compensation.
- We’ll Get to Work
Once we have approved your compensation claim, we’ll get to work getting your claim ready.
- We’ll Keep you in the Loop
At ROC Legal, we understand through many years of experience that this is your compensation claim. We will keep you advised at all times about the progress of your compensation claim.
- We Resolve Your Claim
At ROC Legal, we’re early resolution focused. We know that one of the most important things we can do to help you is to get the compensation you deserve as fast as we possibly can.
- You Get the Compensation
The final step is handling you a cheque for the compensation you deserve.
Types of Public Liability Accidents Covered
Public liability claims cover a wide range of accidents and incidents that occur on another party’s property or premises. These accidents can result in injuries or damages for which the negligent party may be held responsible. Here are some common types of public liability accidents covered under these claims:
Slip and Fall Accidents: One of the most common types of public liability accidents, slip and fall accidents occur when a person loses their footing and falls on someone else’s property. This can happen due to wet or slippery surfaces, uneven flooring, inadequate lighting, or obstacles in walkways.
Faulty Equipment or Structures: Accidents caused by faulty or poorly maintained equipment or structures can also lead to public liability claims. For example, if a person is injured due to a defective railing or a collapsed structure on someone else’s property, they may be entitled to compensation.
Dog Attacks: If a person is bitten or attacked by a dog while on another person’s property, they may be able to make a public liability claim. The owner of the dog can be held responsible for the injuries caused by their pet.
Injuries in Public Places: Public liability claims can also arise from injuries sustained in public places such as parks, shopping centers, or restaurants. If negligent maintenance or dangerous conditions in these areas lead to accidents and injuries, the responsible party can be held accountable.
Negligent Actions of Employees or Contractors: Public liability claims can also be made if a person sustains injuries or damages due to the negligent actions of employees or contractors hired by a business or property owner. This can include accidents caused by careless or reckless behavior, inadequate training, or failure to follow safety protocols.
It is important to note that these are just a few examples of the types of accidents covered under public liability claims. Each case is unique, and the circumstances surrounding the accident will determine the extent of liability and the compensation that may be awarded.
If you have been injured or suffered damages due to the negligence of another party, it is essential to consult with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in public liability claims. They will assess your case, gather necessary evidence, and guide you through the legal process to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Public Liability Claim Process
If you have been injured or suffered damages due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to compensation through a public liability claim. Understanding the process of making such a claim is crucial to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Here is a general overview of the public liability claim process in Queensland:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first step after sustaining an injury or damages is to seek immediate medical attention. It is essential to prioritize your health and well-being. Additionally, seeking medical treatment will create a record of your injuries, which can be used as evidence in your claim.
- Report the Incident: It is important to report the incident to the relevant authority, depending on where it took place. For example, if the accident occurred on someone else’s property, you may need to inform the property owner or manager. Reporting the incident helps establish a documentation trail and strengthens your claim.
- Gather Evidence: Collect as much evidence as possible to support your claim. This may include photographs of the accident scene, medical records, witness statements, and any other relevant documentation. The more evidence you have, the stronger your case will be.
- Consult with ROC Legal: It is highly recommended to consult with a personal injury law firm, like ROC Legal who specialises in public liability claims. We can assess the strength of your case, provide legal advice, and guide you through the entire claims process.
- Lodge a Notice of Claim: We will assist you in lodging a Notice of Claim to the negligent party or their insurance company. This notice outlines the details of your claim, including the injuries sustained, the impact on your life, and the compensation sought. The negligent party then has a specific period to respond to the claim.
- Negotiation or Court Proceedings: Depending on the response from the negligent party, negotiations for a settlement may take place. We will advocate for your rights and work towards obtaining a fair compensation amount. If a settlement cannot be reached, we may initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
It is important to note that the public liability claim process can vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case. Consulting with an experienced personal injury lawyer like one of the team at ROC Legal is the best way to navigate through this process and ensure the best possible outcome for your claim.
When it comes to public liability claims in Queensland, understanding your compensation entitlements is crucial. If you have been injured or suffered damages due to the negligence of another party, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses. Here are some of the commonly sought-after compensation entitlements in public liability claims:
- Medical Expenses: If you have incurred medical expenses as a result of the incident, you can claim reimbursement for these costs. This includes expenses for ambulance services, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation, and ongoing medical treatment.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for pain and suffering is awarded for the physical and emotional distress caused by the incident. The severity of your injuries and their impact on your daily life will be taken into account when determining the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- Income Loss: If your injuries have caused you to miss work or have resulted in a loss of income, you can claim compensation for the wages or income you have lost as a result. This includes both past and future income loss.
- Rehabilitation and Therapy Costs: If your injuries require ongoing treatment, therapy, or rehabilitation, you can claim compensation for these costs. This may include physiotherapy, chiropractic treatment, counseling, and other forms of therapy necessary for your recovery.
- Home Modifications: If your injuries have resulted in a permanent disability or reduced mobility, you may be entitled to compensation for necessary home modifications. This can include the installation of ramps, handrails, accessible bathrooms, and other modifications to make your home more accessible.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: If your injuries have significantly impacted your ability to participate in activities or hobbies you once enjoyed, you may be entitled to compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life. This acknowledges the emotional toll of not being able to engage in activities that once brought you happiness and fulfillment.
It is important to note that the specific compensation entitlements you may be eligible for will depend on the circumstances of your case and the extent of your injuries. Consulting with a ROC Legal is essential to ensure you understand your rights and receive the full compensation you are entitled to.
When it comes to public liability compensation claims in Queensland, it is important to be aware of the time limits that are in place. These time limits, also known as statutes of limitations, dictate the period within which you can file a claim for compensation. Failing to adhere to these time limits can result in your claim being dismissed, regardless of the merit of your case.
In Queensland, the time limit for public liability claims is generally three years from the date of the incident that caused your injury or damages. However, there are exceptions to this rule, and it is crucial to consult with ROC Legal to understand the specific time limits that apply to your case.
No Win No Fee Compensation Claims
When it comes to seeking compensation for an injury or accident, one of the main concerns for many people is the cost of hiring a lawyer. Legal fees can quickly add up, and the fear of having to pay hefty bills can deter individuals from pursuing their rightful compensation. This is where the ROC Legal “no win no fee” guarantee comes in.
Under this arrangement, ROC Legal agrees to take on your case without charging any upfront fees. Instead, we will only be paid if we win the case on your behalf. If the case is unsuccessful, you will not be responsible for any legal fees.
Check if You Can Claim Compensation
At ROC Legal, we’ve been helping Queenslanders receive compensation and lump-sum payouts! Get our help today!
The ROC Legal Point of Difference
When you’re going through a potentially difficult time and working through a situation that has required compensation, we know that this can be tough. The last thing we want to do is further complicate your situation by not being prompt with responses, or not giving you the information you need.
When you contact us at ROC Legal, you will speak to a real person and will get confidential legal advice from people who care. And if you get in touch and leave us a message, we’ll get back to you on the same day.
Don’t spend any more time stressing or worrying about the outcome of your compensation case; get in touch. Our compensation lawyers can speak with you and offer individual legal services that aim to give you the best possible outcome.
Get the Care and Attention You Need with ROC Legal
If you are curious about the process involved in motor vehicle incident claims or would like some more information on how best to proceed with a compensation claim, we can help.
Our boutique firm means that you will always get personalised, one-on-one service from people who know your concerns and who are happy to help. Our motor vehicle accident lawyers are on hand to answer your questions and will work with you to offer support and guidance for your particular situation, standing by your side during what can be a potentially difficult time.