Skip to content

DANGER ZONE: What to do if injured in public

public liability

Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime, anyplace, but what to do if injured in public?

As we slowly shift back to the new normal following lockdown and social distancing, public places such as parks, footpaths and shopping centres can be a proverbial danger zone when it comes to slip and trip hazards.

If you become injured through no fault of your own in a public place, you may be entitled to make a public liability claim.

Public liability accidents or personal injuries can occur on public or private property.

Slips, trips and falls

Examples of common scenarios for public liability claims include:

  • Slips, trips or falls in shopping centres, supermarkets and retail stores
  • Accidents in rental properties where the owner holds public liability insurance
  • Injuries sustained from government or council owned property including schools, playgrounds and carparks
  • Commercial property incidents
  • Animal attacks and physical assaults may also be covered for public liability

If you become injured while somewhere other than your place of employment or vehicle, you may be eligible for public liability.

Public liability enables you to pursue compensation to remedy injuries sustained from another party’s negligence or failure to take reasonable care; such as the property owner, local Council or other asset owner.

When duty of care to the public is breached through negligence, any injured party can seek compensation to cover expenses such as medical bills, ongoing care costs and lost income.

Who is responsible or liable for your incident can change dramatically based on the circumstances of your injury, so it is advisable to consult a compensation specialist law firm to see whether your personal injury is covered by the public liability scheme.

Before medical bills and lost wages begin to have a negative impact your life after your accident, the best way to proceed is to obtain legal advice from experienced public liability lawyers.

Evidence and proof

So, what proof of the accident will you need to provide to make a claim?

Some of the evidence compensation lawyers generally rely on for public liability claims include:

  • Witness details and information
  • Photographs of the accident
  • Photographs of your injury
  • Both medical and personal record


Are there any time limits for making Public Liability claims?

In Queensland, the time limit for making a public liability claim is three years.

That means all necessary legal steps to start the claim must be taken within three years of the incident occurring, failing which your claim may cease to exist, with little to no opportunity to claim retrospectively.

Given most claims are initiated shortly after the incident has taken place and are typically settled directly between the victim and the insurer of the responsible party promptly, this timeframe should not be an issue for most people making a claim.

What to do if injured in public?

At ROC Legal, our expert can help you with your situation. Contact us at 1300 196 219 or get in touch online for a no-obligation chat and case assessment to see what possible action can be taken.

We’re compensation legal experts, and we’re waiting to take your call.
Get in touch with the legal professionals who care at ROC Legal on