Sexual Abuse Lawyers

Children who are in the care of an organisation or institution have the right to protection and reasonable care. If you or someone you know - a family member or friend - has sustained injuries as a result of sexual abuse, then you may have the right to claim compensation from the institution responsible for providing your care.

Please note that psychological injury is recognisable by law as a damage able to be claimed, and in many cases our clients have come to us after being sexually abused in a school, government (including foster care), non-government, religious or military organisation.

At ROC Legal, we have managed a range of institutional sexual abuse claims, and we can help you bring your case together. If you believe that you may have a case, please get in touch for a confidential discussion about how we can help you to claim for the compensation you deserve.

What to Do to Make an Institutional Sexual Abuse Claim

If you have suffered injury (including psychological injury) as a result of institutional sexual abuse, then there is every chance that you may be able to claim for compensation. We are experienced in managing institutional sexual abuse claims and can help with what can be an extremely complex area of law.


There is a certain amount of evidence that needs to be gathered and presented, and certain timeframes that you must adhere to. At ROC Legal, we will manage your claim with compassion and understanding, utilising our experience and expertise to achieve the most favourable outcome for you.


How Do I Know if My Institutional Sexual Abuse Claims Will Work?

Every claim is obviously different, and the entitlements vary from case to case. The best way for us to assess your claim is to meet with you to explore the elements of your claim, and discuss the circumstances relating to your case. That way, we can work with you to let you know if it is possible to proceed in making an institutional sexual abuse claim.

We service majority of Queensland and can travel to a suitable location to meet with you. We respect the sensitive nature surrounding these matters and can maintain privacy by accommodating to your needs. It’s important that we have this preliminary meeting to assess the suitability of your claim, and we are available via phone or online if it’s not possible to meet in person.

My Sexual Abuse Happened a Long Time Ago. Can I Still Claim?

When it comes to compensation, there are timeframes in which it’s possible to make a claim. The usual time limit is three years, but with institutional sexual abuse the time limits can vary, so it’s important to get in touch with us to find out about your particular case. We can go through any of the limits that may apply and talk to you about what you might be entitled to in the form of compensation.

Your first consultation with us at ROC Legal is free for you, and we make sure that we are thorough and go through your potential claim with sensitivity and in complete confidence.

What is My Claim Going to be For?

When you make a claim for institutional sexual abuse, we will help you recover for what you are entitled to. You may be able to claim for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost past and future earnings (including your superannuation)
  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Care that has been or will be provided by family and/or friends
  • Anticipated treatment or rehabilitation

How Long do Institutional Sexual Abuse Claims Take?

We understand that going through institutional sexual abuse claims can be difficult and extremely sensitive. We know that you want to have this done promptly and adequately in order to be able to get on with your life.

We work efficiently and make every attempt to finalise your claim as early as possible. Know that claims can take some time to prepare and to go through, and as a rough guide (although every case is different), it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year - and sometimes more - to complete a case.

Will My Claim be Public?

In as many cases as possible, we try to settle the matter of institutional sexual abuse claims privately without going before the courts. This means that the matter is confidential and entirely between you and the institution. If your case does go before the court, then it may be made public, however we will make every attempt to suppress your name and details.

What Should I Do if I Have Been Sexually Abused?

If you or someone close to you has been sexually abused, then it’s important, but not necessary, that you report the crime that has happened to the police. We want the person or people who have perpetrated the abuse to be brought to justice, and it can also be helpful for your case is there is a criminal charge or conviction.

If you are wondering what to do or how to proceed, we can help you - please get in touch on 1300 196 219 for a confidential discussion with our principal legal practitioner Robert O’Neil.

How ROC Legal Can Help You

When it comes to making institutional sexual abuse claims, it’s important that you have a legal team on side who understands the nuances of making a claim for compensation in this complex area.

We have helped our clients to lodge successful institutional sexual abuse claims and can help you with yours too. If you would like to be duly compensated for the loss, pain and suffering, and other damages suffered as a result of your abuse, then please get in touch.

At ROC Legal, we are dedicated to achieving suitable compensation for our clients who have been affected by institutional sexual abuse. It’s important that you have a strong legal partner in such a claim, and when you work with us, you will benefit from our thorough understanding of this area of law and how you can claim the compensation you’re entitled to.